December 28th - St. Anthony of Lerins
Hildi
2005-12-28 17:04:02 UTC
December 28th - St. Anthony of Lerins

Saint Anthony of Lerins was born in Valeria in Lower Pannonia (in what is now
the area between Austria/Hungary/Croatia) during the time of the barbarian
invasions. When Anthony was eight, his father entrusted his care to Saint
Severinus, the apostle of Noricum (lower Austria). Anthony spent his youth in a
monastery founded by Severinus at Faviana, and witnessed Odoacer(1) march on
Rome.

Severinus died in 482 and at that time Anthony went on to the care of his uncle,
Constantius the bishop of Lorch in Bavaria. Soon after Anthony retired to the
monastery, and in 488 went with some other Romans out of Noricum into Italy. He
was at this time about twenty years old.

Anthony settled under the guidance of the monk Marius, on Lake Como, in northern
Italy. Marius thought much of our saint, and wished him to be ordained to aid in
continuing the work, but Anthony desired the solitary life. With this decision
Anthony joined two hermits at the other end of the lake, near the tomb of St.
Felix. Here he lived in a cave, prayed much and cultivated his garden. However,
this recluse was visited often.

These distractions caused much consternation for the saint, because it broke his
pattern of life and the acclaim his visitors heaped upon him made the saint
worry about becoming vain. Anthony decided to venture over the Alps, where he
settled with some other monks in southern Gaul at Lerins. Saint Anthony of
Lerins died there in 520, revered for both his virtue and numerous miracles.

(1) Odoacer was a Germanic warrior who worked his way up through the ranks of
the Roman army. When the western emperor Julius Nepos was overthrown by the
Roman general Orestes, Odoacer defeated Orestes, deposed and exiled Orestes' son
Romulus Augustus, and refused to acknowledge any new western emperor, officially
putting an end to the Western Roman Empire in 476. He styled himself King of
Italy and conquered parts of present-day Croatia and Austria.

Quote:
He who goes about to take the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass from the Church plots
no less a calamity than if he tried to snatch the sun from the universe. -St.
John Fisher

Bible Quote
31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who is against us?
(Romans 8:31)

<><><><>
Martyrology

In Bethlehem of Juda, the birthday of the martyred Holy Innocents, who were
slain for Christ by king Herod. A totum duplex feast of the second class.

At Lyons in France, the birthday of St. Francis de Sales, bishop of Geneva, and
confessor. Because of his learning and his ardent zeal for the conversion of
heretics, Pope Alexander VII canonized him. His feast is celebrated on January
29, the day on which his holy body was removed from Lyons to Annecy in Savoy.
The Sovereign Pontiff, Pius IX, declared him to be a Doctor of the Universal
Church.

At Ancyra in Galatia, the holy martyrs Eutychius, priest, and Domitian, deacon.

In Africa, the birthday of the holy martyrs Castor, Victor, and Rogatian.

At Nicomedia, the holy martyrs, Indes, a eunuch, the virgins Domna, Agape, and
Theophila, and their companions. In the persecution of Diocletian, after they
had sustained prolonged tortures and been put to death in various ways, they
received the crown of martyrdom.

At Neocaesarea in Pontus, St. Troadius, martyr, in the persecution of Decius.
St. Gregory the Wonderworker was with him in spirit during his trial and
strengthened him to endure his martyrdom.

At Arabissus in Lower Armenia, St. Caesarius martyr who suffered under Galerius
Maximian.

At Rome, St. Domnio, priest.

In the monastery of Lerins in Gaul, St. Anthony, monk, noted for his miracles.

<<>><<>><<>>
Hymn to the Holy Ghost

Come, Holy Ghost, Creator come, From Thy bright heavenly
throne; Come take possession of our souls And make them
all Thine own.

Thou who art called the Paraclete, Best gift of God above;
The living spring, the living fire, Sweet unction and true love.

Thou who art sevenfold in Thy grace, Finger of God's right
hand; His promise, teaching little ones To speak and
understand.

O guide our minds with Thy blest light With love our hearts
inflame; And with Thy strength which ne'er decays Confirm
our mortal frame.

Far from us drive our hellish foe, True peace unto us bring;
And through all perils lead us safe, Beneath Thy sacred wing.

Through Thee may we the Father know; Through Thee the
eternal Son, And Thee the Spirit of them both; Thrice blessed
three in one.

Now to the Father and the Son, Who rose from death, be
glory given, With Thee O holy Comforter, Henceforth by all in
earth and heaven. Amen.

V. Send forth Thy Spirit and they shall be created
R. And Thou shalt renew the face of the earth.

LET US PRAY:
Hildi